Our Saviour’s Library opened in 1960 and was located in the Sunday School Office. In November of 1973, the Library was reorganized and moved to its present location. At this time, Mrs. Mary Jo Carlson a member of the Christian Education Committee, was appointed the Library Chairman. Under the direction of Charles Nelson, Property Committee Chairman the present Library was established. Mr. David Wilson, helped by Chuck Wilson built a beautiful walnut double bookcase with magazine rack, which is still in use today.
The Library was refurbished and dedicated on January 30, 1977 in honor of Louis Frank. The Memorial fund of Lois Frank donated $5,000 for the shelving in the Library. Pastor’s Gerald Nelson and John Clark Johnson officiated. Many hands helped in the refurbishing; Ed Stegman, Bob Ullstrup, Joyce and Ronald Bald, Chuck Nelson, Jane Carson and Barbara Borghoff.
In the summer of 2003, a carpeted children’s corner bench, new carpet, paint and canned lights freshened the library. This renovation included ADA shelving, check out desk, book drop, a computer desk and a small storage cabinet. In addition, the existing custom wood shelving was relocated to the perimeter of the room, and additional lighting was added. Also that summer, the entrance to the Library was changed to the current double doors opening into Luther Court.
Forwarding to 2010, the Library purchased and installed a new software program called Resource Mate. It took many man hours to enter and/or catalog the collection, which involved inventory and “weeding,” as well as fresh labeling of all items. This continues to be the system used to date. The program is routinely updated and continues to serve as the card catalog for the library.
In 2020 when access to the collection was shut down, due to the world pandemic, an additional program was considered. After much thought, were pleased to announce the availability of remote access to the library’s collection, the WebOPAC. This is done through the Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church web page.
Over the years there have been many books gifted to the library, along with acquisitions of books and DVDs the collection has grown to over 3,200 item.
Books for all ages from toddlers board books to fiction and non-fiction for up to the Fifth (5th) grade, Adult fiction and non-fiction, including Biographies, religious and secular reading in a variety of subject areas are available. The Dewey Decimal System is used for classification of materials.
Below are several interesting facts about the Our Saviour’s Library:
- The Library houses a number of Slovakian pieces, a vases and pair of candlestick, and five framed pieces of needlework.
- An Isabell Bloom statuette titled “Comfort” dedicated to the loving Memory of Carol Marquart. 1995.
- A custom bulletin board was commissioned and installed above the book cases in Memory of Gene Neimeyer, 7-05-1941 -- 6-18-2008.
- A beautiful wall hung quilt crafted by member, Ruth Hild was given in Memory of Louise M. Streedain, December 13, 1909 --February 19, 2017 by her daughter, Suzanne Donnelly.